Sunday, June 5, 2011

Enoki butter

When I was 18 and in college, I worked at Sharaku, a Japanese restaurant in the East Village in NYC. They served a grilled mushroom dish called "Enoki Butter." It was a simple preparation but so delicious. Oh, hey, dirty little secret about Sharaku circa 1993, 1994-- if you dined there and didn't eat your leftovers and didn't ask for a doggie bag, the reason why it took me forever to bring you your check was because I was eating your food back in the kitchen. Okay, I feel better now coming clean.
I found a recipe for Enoki Butter from the blog Kirsten's Recipes. If you click on the link, you'll also see a nice candid photo of Kirsten and her friends in Las Vegas with Suge Knight! (???) I'm kinda scared of Kirsten! Here's her (adapted) recipe:
Cut off the spongey ends of the enoki mushrooms. Toss enoki mushrooms with 1 tbsp sake, 1 tbsp ponzu shoyu (just mix ponzu with shoyu), salt and pepper. Place in foil. Put a 1 tsp to 1/2 tbsp knob of butter over the mushrooms. Seal up the foil pack and bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment