Sunday, May 29, 2011

Beet Chips, Take Three!

As you may know, I have been trying to make a good baked beet chip. For attempt #1, my beet chips were not greased up enough and stuck to the pan. For attempt #2, my beet chips were greased up too much and were limp and oily. For attempt #3 (this week's attempt, left), I just Pam-sprayed the pan and Pam-sprayed the beets and baked them at a higher temperature (400 degrees) for 20 minutes. This worked well, as the beets were neither too dry nor too oily, and some of them even had a chip-like crunch. But they weren't that great! Maybe beet chips and me are not meant to be. Then again, I wondered if the only way to make an acceptable chip-like beet would be to deep-fry it. I tried that (results top right), but those weren't that great either. Willie reminded me that not all products of the natural world were meant to be manipulated by humans into crunchy snacks. After four tries at making beet chips, I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment