Sunday, May 29, 2011

Taro Chips, Two Ways

I was stoked this week to receive a taro root in the MA`O Farms CSA box. I had never worked with taro root before. I was hoping that there wouldn't be a calcium oxalate problem with the root, and there was none. I peeled the brown skin off of the root, cut off the ends to expose the off-white flesh of the root, and sliced the root into quarter-inch wedges. Half of the wedges were deep fried over medium-high heat in canola oil until golden brown (top right). Those were DELICIOUS! The remaining wedges were coated lightly with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, then oven-baked at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes (flipped halfway through). Those were also delicious, but they were denser and starchier than the fried version. I liked both equally!

No comments:

Post a Comment