Sunday, April 10, 2011

Beet Chips

This recipe comes from Fix Me A Snack:
Ingredients:
2-3 medium beets;
Salt (optional)
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash the beets thoroughly. Cut off both ends and peel. Keep a towel on hand or do your peeling under running water in order to keep the juices under control. Slice the beets very thinly (about 1 mm with a mandolin). (This is a rare instance where the mandolin is actually necessary. Uniform thickness in the chips is required in order for them to bake evenly). Lay the sliced beets out onto parchment-lined baking sheets. They can be placed close together as they will shrink during baking. Sprinkle with salt, if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes keeping a close eye on them after 15 minutes as they burn easily. The beets will still be pliable when done and will crisp up as they cool.
Adrienne's Note: I didn't use parchment paper, so maybe that is where I went wrong. I used aluminum foil. My beets stuck to the foil and oxidized, turning an unappetizing gray color where they were stuck. If I do use foil next time, maybe I should toss the beet slices in olive oil so they don't stick? Also, my beets remained pliable even after they cooled. Hmmm..... a bunch of things to think about for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment