Sunday, April 10, 2011

Curly Endive Salad with Blueberries, Toasted Hazelnuts, and Parmesan Shavings







Check out this huge head of curly endive! I wanted to get a shot of it sitting on the couch, like someone who has come over to visit-- that's how gigantic it was. It haunted me throughout the week. It was like a surprise houseguest that you don't know very well, who is staying for an indeterminate amount of time. You want to take him out and do things with him, but (1) you are busy, (2) fully engaging him appears to be a major task, and (3) all of this was so unexpected. So there he sits, waiting for you. It's a little weird, but you don't want to complain.




You come home after a long day at work, open the apartment door, hoping to see the sheets he used folded neatly on the couch, with some kind of thank-you note, and him? GONE! Instead, there he is, on the couch, with the remote in his hand. "Oh, hey!" you say, force-cheerfully. "You're still here! That's awesome! I was thinking we could do something this weekend, you know, if you're still around. Sorry we haven't had time to hang out." This you say, with your hand nervously rubbing the back of your neck. "Work has been so crazy lately, you know? Hope you're not too bored just sitting around here." And he is always so polite. He insists, "No, don't worry! I'm okay. Pretend I'm not even here. I don't want to be a bother." This conversation repeats itself day after day.




This massive houseguest took up an entire drawer in the fridge by itself, wrapped in a plastic bag, with a wadded up wet towel rubber-banded around its stump. I half-hoped that it would shrivel up and die before I got to use it, because it scared the crap out of me. The other (better) half of me hoped it would last long enough for me to at least try it. Well, this mofo has been going strong all week. I haven't seen any shriveled up leaves on it at all! It's still crisp and hardy in the fridge drawer. Yesterday, I got a chance to use it, and it was delicious! Curly endive, you are welcome in this house. I just had to get to know you first.




This is the first of a few recipes I am trying this weekend, and it comes from Ingrid Hoffman, of Food Network's Simply Delicioso.




Ingredients:


1/2 cup olive oil


1/4 cup raspberry vinegar


2 tsp honey


2 tsp Dijon mustard, smooth or whole grain


Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper


1 head chicory (curly endive) or other bitter leafy green, chopped


1/2 cup lightly toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped


1 cup fresh blueberries


4 oz aged Manchego cheese, shaved (Adrienne's Note: I looked for Manchego and couldn't find it, so I substituted Parmiggiano Reggiano)




Directions:


In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, honey, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Shake vigorously to mix well. Put the chicory in a large salad bowl. Drizzle the dressing all over the greens and toss gently with your hands to coat the leaves. Top with hazelnuts, blueberries, and cheese. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment